chat mit george - 14.4. bis 18.4. 2008

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

Bei mir geht es. =) (Danke für den Link, mischbeck!)

Ich kann ja mal die in meinen Augen wichtigsten Fragen und GRRMs Antworten darauf hier zusammenfassen:

Fragen in Normalschrift,

GRRMs Antworten fett
      "...for love is the bane of honor, the death of duty." - Maester Aemon

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von „Ser Steffon Marstark“ ()

Deutschlandbesuch

I'm tuning in from Germany to ask you four tiny little questions.

First will you ever visit your loyal fans in Germany? You have quiet a legion of fans here as you may see when you visit our website: eis-und-feuer.de/eisfeuer.html

I last visited Germany in 2000 for a con in Leipzig. I also visited Berlin (great museums), checked out the Frankfurt Book Fair and the Essen Game Fair, went drinking with my fans in Dusseldorf and Cologne, and played the tourist along the Romantic Road.

I'm sure I'll be back one day, but offhand, I don't know when.

Every year there is the world's largest book mess in the world here in Germany in Frankfurt or you could visit us here at my University at the Jon F. Kennedy Institute in Berlin which is also one of the most important centers of American Literary Studies in Europe (my daydream), it would be great to see you there sometime or perhaps your German publisher can work something out. Guess it is not possible to squeeze Germany in your visit to Europe in July?

No, afraid not. These days I book all my appearances three or more years in advance.

Fernsehserie

And now that the writers strike is over, any news about the HBO series?

In development. No news.

Do you have a personal dream cast for the HBO Song adaptation?

I had a few actors in mind for particular parts when I was finishing up A GAME OF THRONES, along about 1995. Unfortunately, all those actors are twelve years older now, and the characters aren't. My original dream cast are likely all too old for the roles for which I first envisioned them.
      .... will Jon ever find out about his parentage?

Eventually, yes.

Is Mace Tyrell aware of his youngest son's sexuality? Does the Queen of Thorns know?

Yes and yes.

Was Jon Arryn truly Robert Arryn's father?

So far as anyone knows. Without blood tests or DNA, establishing paternity was a lot more hit and miss.

Is Gregor and Sandor Clegane's sister truly dead? Was she Tysha?

Yes and no.

What has become of Widow's Wail?

Still at the Red Keep, until such time as King Tommen is old enough to wield it.

Did Tywin have any bastards?

He'd have you flogged for the mere suggestion.

Where was the Red Viper during Robert's Rebellion?

Good question. Offhand, I don't recall the answer. Maybe in Dorne, maybe across the narrow sea with a sellsword company. I'd have to check my notes to be certain.

Did Prince Rhaegar knight the Mountain at the tourney at Harrenhal?

Don't think so, but again, I'd need to check my notes. I think Gregor was already a knight.

Has a woman ever been Lady of Winterfell or Queen in the North in her own right?

No. Although I do hope to someday write the Dunk & Egg story where they travel to Winterfell and meet the She-Wolves.

How closely does Westeros resemble the real Middle Ages in terms of social customs and gender roles? For example, would highborn ladies have been expected to bathe guests and know how to make cheese, etc.? Sansa's education and training seemed rather impractical - did the fault lie with her parents or were all young ladies raised like that?

Sansa is more than just a young lady. She's the daughter, not just of a noble, but of one of the most powerful nobles in Westeros. The great houses stand far above the lesser nobles, as the lesser nobles do above the smallfolk.

Will Sandor and Sansa meet again in the future?

Why, the Hound is dead, and Sansa may be dead as well. There's only Alayne Stone.

Will there be any future POVs on characters we've yet to see?

Sigh. Yes. More in DANCE than I intended.

Will the origins of the Others ever be explained?
      Will Arya have any significant impact on events later in the series?

No comment.

Will any of our POVs get to see other locations listed but not shown in the books (such as Asshai, Valyria, Myr, Yi Ti, ect)?

Some, perhaps. I do not subscribe to the theory put forth in THE ROUGH GUIDE TO FANTASYLAND (a swell book, by the way) that eventually the characters must visit every place shown on The Map.

Where are Bayasabhad, Shamyriana, and Kayakayanaya located at, and will we see any more of the warrior maids that inhabit these regions?

North and east of Vaes Dothrak. I don't anticipate of their inhabitants playing a major role in this story.

Are the Faceless Men and Sorrowful Men affiliated, past or present?

No. Very different views of what they do.

Is the Faith Militant based on the Crusaders or Knight’s Templer?

Yes, albeit loosely.
      Auch von hier aus ein Dank an Ser Steffon.

Das Folgende gehört nicht wirklich zum Thema, aber die Frage taucht oben auf, also:

Kann mir bitte jemand sagen, wo in den bisher erschienen Büchern etwas über eine Schwester der Cleganes steht?
      Es ist mir unbegreiflich, wie ich so etwas überlesen konnte.
      Oder ich habe es gelesen, aber sofort vergessen, was mir persönlich bisher nur beim Lesen des Sportteils passiert ist. :D
      "Fear cuts deeper than swords."
      -Syrio Forel-
      Kommt gleich im ersten Band, Eddard IV.

Ned betrachtet den Berg beim Turnier der Hand und erinnert sich daran, dass Gregors Ehefrauen und Schwester unter mysteriösen Umständen starben.
      GRRM light our fire and protect us from the dark, blah, blah, light our way and keep us toasty warm, the HBO series is full of errors, save us from the scary thing, and blah blah blah some more.
      Naja, es ist ja nicht so, dass GRRM alle Fragen beantwortet, die gestellt werden.

Wer ist Jons Mutter?
      Lebt Sandor Clegane?
      Was ist Briennes letztes Wort?

sind halt Fragen, auf die er keine Antwort gibt. Das wird wohl in den kommenden Büchern stehen. :rolleyes:

Ich überlege auch schon seit gestern, ob ich nicht etwas fragen soll. Aber mir fällt keine wirklich gute Frage ein, auf die es auch eine gute Antwort geben könnte :( .
      @Ser Steffon:
      Mit welchem Browser gehst du auf die Seite?
      Bei mir gehts nicht im FF, nicht im IE und auch nicht mit Safari. Immer eine weiße Seite und oben steht. "board (GIF-Grafik, 1x1 Pixel)". Und das egal ob ich hier den Link nehme oder über deren Startseite draufgehe. Wie kann denn sowas sein?? ;(
      "Let me tell you something about wolves, child. When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives." -Eddard Stark
      Original von Maegwin
      Kommt gleich im ersten Band, Eddard IV.

Ned betrachtet den Berg beim Turnier der Hand und erinnert sich daran, dass Gregors Ehefrauen und Schwester unter mysteriösen Umständen starben.

Danke, an die Ehefrauen erinnere ich mich, die Schwestern hatte ich schlichtweg vergessen.
      OT-Ende. :)
      "Fear cuts deeper than swords."
      -Syrio Forel-
      Original von WinterIsComing
      @Ser Steffon:
      Mit welchem Browser gehst du auf die Seite?
      Bei mir gehts nicht im FF, nicht im IE und auch nicht mit Safari. Immer eine weiße Seite und oben steht. "board (GIF-Grafik, 1x1 Pixel)". Und das egal ob ich hier den Link nehme oder über deren Startseite draufgehe. Wie kann denn sowas sein?? ;(

Bei mir klappts mit FF 0o

Und danke noch, Ser Steffon

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von „kamikazeelefant“ ()

Wow, Ser Steffon wurde mit einer Antwort des Meisters aller Meister gesegnet !!! =) =) =)

SerSteffonMarstark wrote:
      Some questions from another German fan:

1. Dragons

How many legs do your Dragons have? Two. The forelimbs are the wings.
      Are they either male or female, somehow both, or do they breed magically?

GGRM:
      Sexing dragons is difficult. More in future books.

2. Valyrian Swords

We know of Ice, Brightroar, Longclaw, Lady Forlorn and others.
      Do the other great houses (Arrym, Tully, Tyrell) own Valyrian steel swords? Are they just hiding them in their vaults, or why havent they appeared in the books?

GGRM:
      Oh, there are more Valyrian swords than we have seen so far. Not all of them belong to the Great Houses. Lesser nobility would oft purchase one as well, for the prestige, and sometimes knights or even lesser swords would acquire one on the battlefield, after the original owner fell. But there have been no more made since the Doom of Valyria.

3. Maesters Chain

Does a chain consist of only one link of each metall, or may a chain have more than one link of silver, gold, lead etc. ?

GGRM:
      Mulitple links are possible, and signify that the maester is especially accomplished in that area.

4. Dead Charakters

Many people have died during the books. Do you sometimes think, that you could need a dead charakter again?

I hope you enjoy writing the books as much as I reading them :)

Die Tastatur, mit der du gefragt hast, darfst du nie wieder waschen ! ;)
      GRRM light our fire and protect us from the dark, blah, blah, light our way and keep us toasty warm, the HBO series is full of errors, save us from the scary thing, and blah blah blah some more.
      Er hat mit mir gepostet 8o :D :D !
      Jetzt stehe ich auf einer Stufe mit dem Papst 8) :] !!!

Maegwin hat vergessen:

How many legs do your Dragons have?

Two. The forelimbs are the wings.

Und es gibt auch andere Neugikeiten, wobei ich nochmal daruf hinweisen möchte, dass ich (aus zeitlichen Gründen) nur die in meinen Augen wichtigsten rauskopiert habe. Es gibt also noch mehr... .

For me, one of the most striking things about the Song of Ice and Fire series is the use of multiple perspectives strongly delineated by chapter. Was it always your intent to write A Song of Ice and Fire from the viewpoints of a wide variety of characters,

Yes.

or was your initial focus more narrow? And what do you think are the strengths (and weaknesses?) of this construction?

It is really the only way to tell a large, sprawling, complex story if you are using a third-person, limited viewpoint, as I do.

Since that question is a bit (or a lot) off topic, I'll ask another, more on topic, question: there are a lot of forums out there that speculate and theorize on future events in asoiaf. Have any of them ever hit close to the mark?

I am aware of such forums, certainly, but I try to avoid them.

And if so, have you ever been tempted to change the outcome of some of the events in the series just to show 'em?

And this is one of the big reasons WHY I avoid them.
      hallo

hab mich im threadtitel leider etwas vertan, die diskussion geht NUR NOCH HEUTE ;)

zum thema sex/gewalt, was hier ja auch verschiedentlich diskutiert wird gibts auch wieder ne sehr feine aussage vom meister:

"...
      It is a sad commentary on American society that there are people who will be outraged by a description of a penis entering a vagina, but not troubled at all by a description of an axe entering a head.
      ..."